Wednesday, October 28, 2009

How One Dad Fights Frustration

Part of the joy, and frustration, of living in Colorado is that you never know what type of weather to expect when. On the last day of summer this year, we had snow squalls. Two days later, it was in the 70's. My wife Terry tells me she loved living in New Jersey because winter started "on time" in November and ended "on time" at the end of March. So today, three days before Halloween, the kids were home all day due to a snowstorm.

The kids were planted squarely in front of the television much of the morning, while I worked in my home office. Sure, I wish I could have kept them entertained with crazy projects designed to educate and inspire. Instead, they dined on Phineas and Ferb, and SpongeBob.

Sometimes we fathers have to bend to reality and make the best of a situation that doesn't "fit" our pre-conceptions of how things should work. A snow day home from school definitely didn't fit today's schedule. The kids aren't old enough to stay home by themselves so Mother Nature forced me to upend my day. I don't know about you, but my frustration level increases when I try to make circumstances out of my control fit into those pre-conceptions of how things should work.

When your frustration level rises, it's easy to take it out on others. Our pre-conceptions often stay in our heads and don't get shared. That leaves the people we care about most guessing as to our intentions and plans.

Like the early snowstorm that disrupts travel, work and personal time, you can decide to wallow in the snowdrifts and keep your thoughts to yourself. A better choice is to share your thoughts and head frustration off before it gets the best of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment