Friday, October 9, 2009

Boys Need New Toys

Invasion of the mind-snatchers continues! After a Sunday without television or Nintendo (see the Blog post from Sept. 28th, 2009) and actual human interaction, Terry came home today with the Beatles Rock Band Wii game. For the uninitiated, this "toy" lets you play a fake guitar and fake drums while singing along with John, Paul, George and Ringo. "Twist and Shout" is reverberating in the background while I post this.

Maybe it's not so terrible to furnish our kids, and ourselves, with new toys now and then. Sure, the pricetag was obscene; $150+ at your favorite superstore. Music is one way that generations come together. My parents listen to Bach, Mozart and a bit of Brahms. The music I scoffed at 30 years ago now takes up a significant portion of my Ipod's memory. My sons laugh at their Dad's obsession with all things Springsteen. I'm hoping that when Bruce and I are both gone, perhaps my offspring will embrace my classics.

The new toy now dominating our television is a way for my kids to connect to the 60's and early 70's, a time that formed many of my political, social and cultural affinities. I guess the beauty of something new is truly apparent in its ability to connect us with something in our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment