Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cashing In Your Culinary Dad Card

I'm not sure when exactly my fatherhood "finest hour" has been, but it sure as heck wasn't last night. Faced with the end of a hectic day and a freezer full of food, somehow nothing sounded right for dinner. Our boys will eat pizza morning, noon and night, so at least a frozen pie was in the fridge. When I proposed either pizza or corn-dogs (ask a stupid question...) the response from both kids was "Why not both?"

Indeed, why not both? With that, my instincts toward nutrition and the food pyramid went out the window. I've tried to disguise vegetables in dishes, but the boys are like bloodhounds. They can sniff a naturally delivered vitamin a mile away. After a brief internal debate about food, nutrition and the possible impact on college scholarships of eating a life's worth of nitrates in one sitting, I caved. The guys dined on corn dogs and pizza, along with an oreo and half a banana for dessert. At least they didn't eat in front of the televison.

My take on nutrition has been informed by a line from our pediatrician. Years ago, we were concerned about Nick's growth rate and the food he was eating. The Doctor said "As long as he's getting complete nutrition within any two-week cycle, and as long as he's growing, don't worry about whether he'll overdose on Cheerios." I tried to remember that last night after the kids went to bed well-fed and happy.

After all, they had ketchup with the corn dogs. Don't psuedo-veggies count?

No comments:

Post a Comment